Wainscoting the Dining Room
I am an optimist by nature and a pessimist by life experience. In planning each step of my room design I estimated how long each step would take. I know through experience that whatever I estimate time wise I need to add time for “unexpected problems”. Sometimes even “expected” problems derail my time schedule the way it did this weekend while we were installing our new Wainscoting in the Dining Room for the “One Room Challenge.”
The room after painting.
The Bead Board
Expect The Unexpected
We planned to cover the Bead Board Wainscoting in the Dining Room with thin veneer between the top Dado and the base board moulding. That along with picture frame moulding would change our less formal wainscoting to a dressier Style of wainscot. Veneer, Frame moulding, Patch and paint, all this weekend. I convinced him it would be faster and easier to let Home Depot do all the cuts on the veneer and all we would have to do was to come home, glue it down and slap it up! Ha! (as in roflmao!). I measured both ends of each section in height, expecting the Dado to not be level all the way across. What did not occur to me was to measure lengthwise on top and on bottom. The corners were not square and we had to sand them over and over till they fit correctly. We could not plane them because the thin veneer was splintering from he planer. That added a lot of time to the project.
First we measured…….
Then we sanded each piece of Veneer…..
Once smooth, we fitted each Piece and notched out where necessary…
Carefully Glueing the back of each veneer panel….
We Applied the panels over the bead board between the Dado and the Baseboard.
Then we secured them with brads
It is important to sink the brads so that your wainscot is smooth.
After sinking the brads, I went back and wood patched any indentations and all seems.
This is where I am in the project. In the morning I will sand the wood patch and paint the veneer white.
Oh Waite! I did do one more thing! (well I did buy a wine bar for the room this week but I am saving that for the reveal!) I found these lovely metal Decor Outlet Covers to replaced the old ones!
Since I finally receive my ceiling products late today I will be working on the Ceiling this week as well as the Dining Table re do in the garage. I need more artwork for the walls but this weekend we will be putting up the Picture Frame moulding when hubby is here to help as well as the curtain rods. Come back next week to see if I am ready for the reveal the following week! For now I am thrilled to have the veneer for the Wainscot up and patched!
See ya soon!
See all The competitors and guest competitors at the link below