Love it or Loathe it, Green Bean Casserole is a holiday staple that is here to stay.
Everyone has their version of Green Bean Casserole and they are positive theirs will be the best you have ever had! Low and behold, they all taste the same. Or fairly alike. I like it- but I add a bit of umami to mine even if I make the “back of the soup can” Green Bean Casserole Recipe. Shhhh! This is the secret ! “I add a Tablespoon of Soy Sauce to it”. It adds a fabulous earthiness to the dish.!
My husband is not a fan. He insists that we can “do without” it. He is not a casserole fan anyway. I feel like I am being deprived if it is not on the table for Thanksgiving and at least Easter. Christmas is a bonus. That is why I decided we needed a better “Green Bean Casserole Recipe”! So I started, searching recipes and in my usual fashion, took the things I liked from each of several recipes and created this one!
Step Aside Turkey ! Move over Stuffing! Beat it Beets!
There’s a new side in town!
For lack of a better name, I call it ;
(cut the green beans in half) Boil the fresh green beans in water till tender crisp, remove to 13 x 9 baking dish (or larger) 4″ – 5″ deep is great!
Peel and slice your onions into thin half rounds…set aside
Grate your baby swiss cheese. I use Boars Head. I just love the taste.
Press the Lemon between the counter and the butt of your hand to soften, then heat the Lemon in the microwave for a minute to warm and squeeze the juice into a ramekin till needed. You get more juice this way.
Chop your fresh flat leaf Parsley.
Measure out your salt and pepper and flour into ramekins so they are ready when you are!
Melt your butter in the hot skillet. Then add your onion slices till nearly transparent, then your coarsley chopped Monterey Mushrooms. when the mushrooms are softened slightly then add your Parsley and give them a minute in the skillet then add your lemon juice, salt and pepper, stir till blended, add your flour and mix in. Add your sour cream and blend all together.
Immediately after you have the flour and sour cream blended through, pour the sauce over the par cooked green beans that you have waiting in the casserole dish.
Stir it all together till evenly distributed.
Sprinkle the parmesan cheese over the top and then top that with the baby swiss.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 30-40 minutes or till bubbly throughout
remove from oven, top with your french fried onions, return to oven till onions are browned.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion sliced into thin half rounds
- ½ cup fresh chopped flat leaf parsley
- 12 ounces coarsley chopped monterey mushrooms
- 2 tsp. salt
- 4 Tbsp.Flour
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- juice of 1 Lemon
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 lbs fresh whole green beans
- 1½ cup fresh shredded parmigiano reggiano cheese
- 2½ cups freshly shredded baby swiss cheese (Boars Head is my pick)
- 2 cups french fried onions
- cut the green beans in half.
- in a large pot of boiling water, boil the green beans till tender but not mushy
- drain them and place them in 13 x 9 x 4 casserole dish
- melt butter in large skillet
- when melted add onions till nearly transparent
add mushrooms till starting to soften. about 4 minutes..
- toss parsley in the skillet and stir around about a minute.
- to the skillet
add salt, pepper and lemon juice. blend. add flower and blend quickly. do not brown flour.
- stir in sour cream and immediately pour mixture over beans in casserole dish
- mix all together
- sprinkle parmesan cheese over top
- sprinkle baby swiss over that.
- bake @ 350 degrees till bubbly al over and hot throughout
- remove and top with french fried onions.
- return to oven till browned
Your friends and family will think you went to culinary school when you serve them this Green Bean Casserole! I hope you try it and I know you’ll love it! Let me know what you think when you do!!